Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sometimes when I write, the words just flow. When that happens I always know that I will like it when it is finished. If it doesn't flow, many times I will just delete it. There is all the difference when I write from my heart rather than from my head.

There are times that I wake up during the night with thoughts running through my head and all I want to do is to get out of bed and write it down before I forget it. One of my all time favorite poems came to me like that. I woke up at one o'clock in the morning. I was thinking "The temperature outside was seventeen below. Old Sarah sat in her big chair and rocked it to and fro". I lay there wondering where that silly thought had come from. Suddenly I realized it was a poem. I crawled out of bed and sat on  the couch in the dark and created the entire poem verbally. I wrote nothing down. I was afraid that if I didn't write it down I would forget it, but I was too tired to take the time to write. I decided that if it was as good as I thought, I would remember it in the morning, and if I didn't remember it, then it must not have been that good. It was three o'clock by then, so I climbed back into bed and fell asleep. The next morning I got up, sat down and wrote the whole poem. I hadn't forgotten a single word. To this day I cry every time I read it.

Last night something woke me up at midnight. All I could think about was the second book in the Little Chrisamee series. I have started writing it already. The things I thought of last night are my favorite part of the story so far. Now if I can just put it on paper the way it came to me last night it should be good. I guess time will tell.

Well, here is to those wonderful thoughts in the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment